Thursday, March 26, 2009

Art Quilt & Mixed-Media Pieces Finished

It's been a while since my last post but I've been productive. "Just A Minute" is a collage of several quotes about seconds in a minute. How many times we've all said Just a second... or Wait a minute... usually to grab a few moments to regroup before we get diverted by someone else. I recycled a wooden frame that was painted a limey green by applying a brownish water color wash over the collaged watches, then I sealed it with a matt acrylic spray. Collage work was applied to a painted canvas board, then overlaid with fabric paint stamped organza. A matt gel medium was used to adhere the paper collage and organza. I glued the canvas board collage on a padded fabric canvas board backing and secured the corners with beads sewn through all layers to keep the corners from curling up. It appears to be 'floating' on the fabric. Funky and offbeat, this was a fun project to do.

"Sands of Time" is a symbolic wall quilt. The sand-colored, hourglass-shaped, fabric patches, with beads and crystals cascading from the top and dripping off the bottom, in addition to the irregular shape overall was chosen to depict "Like sands through an hourglass, so are the days of our lives" (a soap opera moniker from the 70's). I free-motion 'bubble' quilted the entire surface with an irridescent white metallic thread to create the illusion of sunlit grains of sand. Although this was a time intensive project in which I had no clear vision from beginning to end, each step led me to the next choice and I thoroughly enjoyed the journey. I can visualize this piece in a number of settings.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Fascinating pieces, both! Thanks for the images and the stories behind them :) ~Marguerita

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like sands of time! very simple yet unique. keep up the good "wedework!"

    ReplyDelete