Monday, August 17, 2009

ALCQ 2009 Show & Silent Auction

Anchorage Log Cabin Quilters Guild is hosting its annual Quilt Show & Small Quilt Silent Auction in the Conoco Phillips atrium September 12th and 13th. Charter Member, Louise Bremner made and donated this years stunning raffle quilt entitled "Trail Mix". I'd be in quilters heaven to win this one! This quilt is currently displayed at Seams Like Home in the University Center, Anchorage for anyone wishing to take a closer look. Tickets will be on sale at the Show until the drawing on Sunday.



I've donated three small quilts to the silent auction this year. The small medallion style block was given to me by someone who'd pieced it from a Jinny Beyer class long ago. I added the outer border and hand quilted it. This photo doesn't show any details.



The irregular shaped piece of bear fabric was given to me so I dug through my scraps to crazy piece what I hope appears to be the viewer looking through a dilapidated cabin. It is machine thread painted and machine quilted.



"Butterfly Dreams" measures 16" X 19". I fused various brightly colored ribbons in a diagonal layout onto background fabric. With leftover fused cotton fabrics from my Tranquility quilt made in 2008, I layered a woven grid on top of the ribbon. As an experiment, I placed a purchased sheer overlay with colorful foil butterflies already stamped on it. The wall hanging looks best in a well lit setting where the ribbon and grid work can be seen underneath and the butterflies glow and sequins sparkle across the surface. The blue reminds me of night - which inspired the title.



The Silent Auction is our Guilds annual fund raiser and all proceeds go into our Education Fund. The money used to sponsor guest teachers (usually from out of State), enables those unable to travel, a chance to learn from famous quilters. Usually 50 to 60 small quilts (no larger than 24" square), are available to open the bid at $30. and may climb to $300. or more if it is exceptional or there is a bidding war. Closing bids are tallied Sunday afternoon. If you are in the area, come view the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment