Although I had purchased several materials earlier this winter with my Salvation Army vouchers, I only had time to make one item for their auction before my month long vacation to North Carolina. I've been home nine days. After a whirlwind of unpacking, cleaning, straightening, grocery shopping and miscellaneous tasks, I retreated to my studio and felt like I'd truly gotten home! Time is running short. The final turn in date for auction items is April 9th. I hope to complete one more art piece before that deadline.
I'll be the first to admit I am not a basket weaver so this 'creation' was strictly done on a wing and a prayer. Here is a photo of the bundle of reeds I found in the Salvation Army store. There were roughly twenty single lengths coiled in the bundle. I used all but four.
I created a base frame with six coils, the first four formed a square grid which I secured with copper wire at the intersections. Two remaining coils were placed on the diagonal from corner to corner not only for the added strength but to provide more vertical supports for the subsequent weaving of the basket shape itself. (the jute bottom was woven in prior to finishing the top of the basket)