Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Garden Lessons and Blessings

My very first efforts to sprout a green thumb began at home in my teens.  I claimed a small patch of Mom's flower bed to plant a packet of radishes and see what would happen.  I learned that mother nature can't be rushed but the payoff is rewarding on multiple levels when you exercise patience.  What joyous wonder when the first hint of green poked through the earth.  That was faith being rewarded.  Daily growth revealed the miracle of creation - something I had little to do with, but without my diligent watering and care, it most likely wouldn't have thrived.  I learned a lesson on care giving.  Best payoff of all, the harvest!  Funny how market food doesn't taste as flavorful as home grown.  Even my less favorite foods provided palatable delight when I was responsible for their growth.  And I do find it fascinating to see how edibles develop from the ground up.  Its pure marvel.

I've been rediscovering the joy of veggie gardening a few plants per summer, but flowers remain my primary interest.  Farmer's Market feeds my belly without all the extra work.  Surrounding my life with colorful flowers however, feeds my artsy soul.

Ironically, I've come full circle with Mom's flower beds.  My parents physical challenges in their 'golden years' have prevented them from maintaining their beautiful yard as they are accustomed to.  Over the past few summers I have taken over the annual planting of flower beds and have focused on replacing high maintenance areas with colorful perennials as the main foundation.  Their front yard receives the most attention due to its high visibility with neighborhood traffic.  Who doesn't appreciate the beauty of colorful, interesting gardens?  Mom says people slow down when they drive by to take in the view.  Pedestrians are stopping and commenting on how lovely her flowers are.  So the real blessing is mine.  Not only do I help my folks, but strangers I'll never meet are appreciating the beauty they encounter as they pass my parents yard.  One garden at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment