Monday, January 24, 2011

Charity Fundraiser 2011 Sneak Preview

My plan is to transform 14 ties into one or two table runners for the Salvation Army's Transformed Treasures silent auction this Spring.  Last year I made a set of 4 table mats (or mini-quilts) for this programmed event, which were very well received and even garnered a large photo in the Anchorage Daily Newspaper!  I enjoyed making them enough to repeat the idea in a different format.  The tie project is the first of three unrelated art transformations I am creating for Transformed Treasures 2011 Auction.
The miscellaneous blocks in the photo above were sewn by some of my Quilt Go Round members and are the foundation for a sampler wall quilt or perhaps a few smaller wall quilts, to be donated to the MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas.  I discovered this website while doing personal research on Ovarian Cancer ~ of which I am a 6 yr. survivor of Fallopian Cancer.  It seemed only natural that my love for quilting, supporting worthwhile charities, and my personal experience with cancer would meld into an enthusiastic response to participate in the MD Anderson Ovarian Cancer Quilt Project.  The colors signify specific cancers. I will be making additional blocks and coping strips to complete the tops.  Finished quilt donations must be completed by May 1st.  More details are on the link above, should you be interested in participating in making a donation or bidding online during their auction.

1 comment:

  1. Your idea was great. The idea of creating something new from ties. And the good looking quilt. Continue your fundraiser project.

    ReplyDelete