Sunday, February 27, 2011

MD Anderson Cancer Center - Auction Quilt Donation #1

"From The Heart" (23" square)
The MD Anderson Cancer Center explains their event as follows:
The quilt project and 2011 online quilt auction benefit the Blanton-Davis Ovarian Cancer Research Program and the Uterine Cancer Research Program at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Through innovative research, these programs aim to develop effective screening methods and ultimately a cure for ovarian and uterine cancer. The online auction also raises awareness for cervical cancer and the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genetic predisposition which increases the risk for developing both ovarian and breast cancer.

This is my first year participating as an auction donor.  Some of my quilting friends donated blocks to make quilts with.  Lynnette Motz pieced the center heart block and then machine button hole stitched the fused applique hearts on top.  Her machine work is flawless!  She contributed two large blocks, each of which became the central theme in two separate small quilts.  This is the first one, the second will be posted soon.  My plan is to continue making quilts throughout the year with the remaining blocks ~ to be donated to future MD Anderson quilt auctions.

For those who aren't aware of the colors depicting these specific cancers, they are as follows:
    Teal for ovarian cancer
    Peach for uterine cancer
    Teal and pink for ovarian/breast cancer
    Teal and white for cervical cancer

Using pink thread, I free motion quilted the radiant bursts around each heart, then using my even feed foot (aka walking foot), I echoed straight line ripples around the diagonally set theme block.  After applying the hanging sleeve and binding I felt the hearts needed additional stitching, so I used a contrasting teal thread to free motion quilt a random fill stitch.  I sewed and ripped out a few times before achieving the final outcome.  

This piece is appropriately titled "From The Heart",  because I am a 6 year survivor of Fallopian Cancer (extremely rare but treated as Ovarian cancer), and my heart is invested 100% in support of this cause.  Every day is a gift, which I believe should be 'paid forward' with the talents, abilities and time I've been blessed with, to share with others facing trying times and contribute to further research in finding a cure.  My prayer goes out to everyone who has or will be touched by cancer, particularly ones that plague my global sisters.

The deadline for anyone wishing to participate in donating completed quilts is May 1st, 2011.  If you have difficulty obtaining a donation form directly from their website ~
Send a request for a Quilt Donation Form to:
Pam Martinez
Community Relations -  The Department of Gynecologic Oncology & Reproductive Medicine
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
1155 Herman P. Pressler, CPB 6.3244
Houston, TX  77030-3721

Phone: 713-792-2765

1 comment:

  1. All the quilts are gorgeous and I had no idea of the different color designations for the ribbons - thanks for posting that :)

    ReplyDelete