Typical wear and tear I suppose for a foot rest. The out dated fabric was worn completely through on the top
Past experience reminded me to carefully deconstruct the furniture covering systematically. The deeply seated staples must have numbered in the hundreds because it took a full day just to remove them and dismantle the fabric pieces. A couple photos documented visual reminders for reassembly. After all the fabric was removed I used those pieces as pattern templates to cut out the new fabric, which in this case is a recycled table cover I found at a local second hand shop.
A little visual to remind me how the welting ran.
Step by step dismantling of fabric pieces. I made improvements on reconstruction after fighting a bit with the original method.
The welting was in good shape so I recovered it. Although I was able to reuse the foam cushion and padding, I did add a bit of fiberfill on worn areas of the legs. I hand sewed the inside leg fabric covers to avoid staples showing ~ except for the dust cover stapled to the bottom of the ottoman. I confidently declare this ugly duckling has been transformed into a classy looking piece of furniture that is substantially sturdier than the original. Hopefully bids will prove others agree with my consensus.