Top side of table runner (13" X 75.5")Yesterday I thought, why not make a two-sided table runner since it was a great opportunity to stash bust more small pieces of fabric. I cut 3" strips in several coordinating colors with a somewhat 1930's appearance. Sewing them end to end to form one long strip, I then cut the strip in half and began sewing the fabric jelly roll style... long sides together, cut the length in half, sew the new long sides together, cut the length in half, repeating until an appropriated sized backing with short strips side by side was formed to cover the length of the table runner.
Back side of table runnerI sewed the project 'pillow case style' to eliminate the need for a traditional binding. With this project I sprayed the top side of the batting with adhesive quilt basting spray, then smoothed the backing (face up) onto the batting. Smoothing the top right sides together on top of the backing, I pinned the edges and sewed a quarter inch seam around the table runner following the block contours, leaving a small hand sized opening on one end.
I trimmed the points and snipped the 'v's along the sides just shy of the seam stitches. After pulling the sandwich inside out pillowcase style, and shaping the points from the inside, I steam pressed the table runner to form smooth flat edges. I hand stitched the opening closed and machine stitched around the entire runner working my way from the outside in until the mat was completely quilted. I used a Cotton Classic Quilt batt (80/20) which requires stitch width no less than half an inch apart. Knowing this item will be washed often, I strictly adhered to the manufacturers recommendation for best performance of their product. This is not typically a batting I use ~ it was given to me ~ but it works perfectly in the right circumstances and free is a wonderful thing!