Sunday, January 15, 2012

2012 Sketchbook Challenge

Last night I stumbled upon the 2012 Sketchbook Challenge on a fellow artists blog and felt like I'd slipped down Alice's rabbit hole to find a personalized creative opportunity flashing at me like a neon sign on a pitch black night.  I'll explain...

With the best of intentions, I'd planned to journal fabric art techniques on a weekly basis last year. Well, that never materialized (no pun intended), but hope was reborn after reading about this wonderful art journal challenge offered Internationally and Free to all those interested in regularly journaling with their chosen art mediums.  The rules are enticingly simple, relatively unrestrictive, and perfectly adaptable to anyone's personal goals and interests.

At last I can link my art journal goals with like minded people across the globe, be inspired by others and share my own experiences with a larger audience.  An added bonus is a free monthly prize drawing for everyone who posts ONE challenge piece to the Flickr group connected to the Sketchbook Challenge.  The internet is such a marvelous gift when used to benefit the masses!

So here is my first submission as a member of the 2012 Sketchbook Challenge.
SAQA Doodle
The theme for January is Doodling and it just so happens that I had been exploring pen and ink doodling last year and just this past week at our SAQA Alaska Regional meeting, I doodled this design on film transparency which I then burned into a EZScreenPrint screen using a friends YUDU machine.  More about that session in a future post.

The doodle was screen printed with a rust colored fabric paint onto a commercial batik fabric background.  This is not a finished piece ~ just an experiment with surface and fabric art design techniques.  Most likely it will end up in a finished piece at some point in time since I seldom discard anything.

This post is all about sharing my latest art related commitment for 2012 and spreading the word to others who may be interested in accepting this Sketchbook Challenge for themselves.  Currently my posting and art activity is a bit erratic as I sort out my schedule this month, but one way or the other, it will all get recorded here on my blog and specific progress will be grouped according to Labels in the sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment