Thursday, February 2, 2012

Donation Quilts

Our quilt guild will be sponsoring the annual Teddy Bear Tea on February 16th. Today was the last Thursday to turn them in.  I made three over the weekend and finished a fourth this morning before heading to guild. 
 A Teeny Beanie baby fish and crab have a storage pocket so they won't get lost.  My fat quarter of turtle fabric was just enough to create the undersea theme on the reverse side.
For those unaware, the Teddy Bear (and Wannabee's) Tea is a charitable outreach by Anchorage Log Cabin Quilt Guild members, to various child related social service organizations in Anchorage who are in crises of some sort or another.  The stuffed animal and quilt are given to a child in need as a means of tangible and intangible comfort as they weather the storms of life.

This year I focused on stash busting this blue teddy bear theme fabric I had hidden in my copious piles of fabric. I'm not even sure where it came from but it sure worked great with a pile of crazy pieced beige tone blocks on hand just waiting for a project.
A strip pieced top using up smaller scraps.

Simple but effective.

With a bit more abstract setting.  I recycled my Dad's torn flannel pajama shirt for the reverse side. Lightweight fusible stabilizer strengthened the flannel before piecing it into a backing.
The dimensions are elusive in these photos.  The animal quilts were approximately 20" give or take but the flannel backed quilt above was 26" square and made for Providence Hospital's Spiritual Care Center.  Throughout the year I will produce more quilts for PHSCC as time allows.  I enjoy using up fabric and batting scraps for these smaller projects and they enable me to play around with free motion stitching ideas where it's not a big thing if they aren't perfect. :)

In the past, I usually attached a separate binding but that is labor intensive.  Now I keep it simple, fast and fun with pillow style construction, sometimes rounded corners and quilting enough to stabilize the particular batting inside.  Practice for me, comfort for kids.  Win ~ Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment