Saturday, July 23, 2011

Bowling Ball Bumblebee and Ladybug

A year or so before I even got on the ladybug craze I inadvertently stumbled upon a ladybug yard art piece made from a painted bowling ball.  Recently I Googled ladybug images and found this ladybug pattern as well as the adorable bumblebee pattern.  I just had to have them for my yard!  I gave the extra ladybug to my parents for their yard.




The bumblebee requires more time and fuss to make but it was worth it.  I discovered bugs aren't color blind.  They weren't attracted to the red but before I finished spraying the yellow ball, bugs were sticking to the wet paint!

I have one more bowling ball from the original seven I purchased from second hand stores.  I'd already grouted the finger holes on it so was unable to make a second bee.  That's okay.  I'll mosaic the last one and free up garage shelving space used for storing 7 bowling balls.  Hubby will be happy.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Marguerita! nice hearing from you. Yes,you chose the perfect word to describe the lighthearted pleasure these bugs give me. Pure amusement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. theyre so cute mom! i saw them at grandma's the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm quite partial to the bumble bee. They both just make me smile. :) I'm hoping to find more novel yard art ideas to jazz up my flower beds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what did you use for the bumble bee wings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used wire mesh screen, small copper tubing on a roll, and 26 gauge wire to wire wrap the screen to the shaped tubing. All supplies were obtained from the hardware store (Lowe's to be exact, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere as well).

      Delete
    2. Click on the link 'bumble bee pattern' for a complete supply list and the Birds and Bloom directions on how to make the bumble bee.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable!!!..have to keep my eyes peeled for bowling balls now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dont pay for bowling balls! Go to any bowling alley, and ask them for old bowling balls. They replace them from time to time, and what you dont want, will end up in the dumpster. With all the new cool colors, you can make any want colored bug you want!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute I love bumble bee things

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute I love bumble bee things

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can not find the pattern for the bumble bee, please help with re-posting it or telling me where I can find it.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... Bowling Balls

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where can I find the list of supplies needs to make these bowling ball bugs?

    ReplyDelete